Ever wondered what it’s like inside the brain of a Halloween blogger? You probably picture a dark space full of cobwebs, jack-o-lanterns and bats.
You wouldn’t be wrong. I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what the Spooky Little Halloween corner of my brain looks like. There might be a bubbling cauldron in there too here all my blog post ideas are percolating, but otherwise yeah…that’s pretty much it!
In reality, however, having the brain of a Halloween blogger goes a little something like this:
It’s a bright and sunny summer day. I’m stuck inside at work, type-type-typing away the marketing email I’m on deadline for when all of a sudden a thought pops into my head:
I wonder how many version of “Monster Mash” exist?
It literally came out of nowhere. Nothing about my surroundings or activities sparked it, other than I am always thinking about Halloween these days.
But immediately, I drop what I’m doing, open Spotify and search the song title.
And you would not believe how many results come back. So many that after adding 65+ selections into my initial playlist, I give up and start my listen-through.
Before we go any further with this post, though, let me say this: I know it isn’t cool to like “Monster Mash”. Most people in the Halloween community kind of turn their nose up at the classic because it’s tired. It’s boring. It’s old news.
I totally get it.
*whispers* I feel that way about “This is Halloween”.
Us Halloween junkies love the classics…but we also want more than them.
But what if you found a really killer version of the song instead of the Bobby “Boris” Picketts classic to add to your Halloween playlist?
Today’s the day we do just that, my spooky little friend.
50+ “Monster Mash” covers you need to hear:
And just in case you don’t want to sit through 3+ hours worth of the same song, don’t worry – I already did it for you.
Here are 12 you MUST listen to:
- The Derevolutions – This ditty is a quirky little pop version of “Monster Mash” with some added weirdness at the end. It’s nothing if not unique.
- Hayseed Dixie – Feeling a little bit country? This version has twang, a sing-along chorus and banjo galore.
- Misfits – Or, if you want to go in the complete opposite direction, you can add the Misfits classic take on the song which, in true punk fashion, is only two minutes long.
- Matt Reilly – Dig garage rock and some killer bass? This rocked out take has all the above. The chorus alone is worth a listen for the bass line.
- Heebee Jeebies – Looking for a classy version of “Monster Mash”? The Heebee Jeebies do a beautiful acapella cover, complete with monster sound effects.
- Sesame Street – Who better to cover “Monster Mash” than The Count from Sesame Street? This version is perfect for a kiddo party.
- Kris Kringle Konspiracy – You know how if you play records at the wrong speed, they sound way slowed down? That’s what this cover sounds like.
- The Haunted Houses – Just looking for a simple cover? The Haunted Houses have the take you’re looking for, plus some spooky vocals and sound effects.
- Crapcorps – The cover you would hear at an open mic night at your local college coffee house.
- Girl Authority – A rockin’ version featuring female vocals!
- Faster Pussycat – Love rock? This version might be a bit too tame for some tastes, but it definitely goes in a heavier, if not poppy, version.
- The Beach Boys – This one is self-serving because The Beach Boys are one of my all-time favorite bands…but I’ve managed to stump even the most knowledgeable music buffs by telling them this classic American band covered this Halloween tune! Definitely worth a listen.
And just in case you’re old school and prefer a track list, I’ve got you covered:
So…which version is YOUR favorite?
Share it in the comments!
Want weekly Halloween treats in your inbox?
If you just can’t get enough October 31st in your life, join my email list – Treats Not Tricks. Every Friday I’ll send you one Halloween treat to enjoy. It’s the best way to make every day feel like Halloween all year long!