I do not say this lightly: my state just lived through a horror movie.
If you follow me on social media, you likely know after the last few days that I live in Houston, Texas. I am a born Texan and have called the fourth largest city in the country home, even when I lived elsewhere for college, for nearly 30 years.
You have likely seen the news coverage already. From Rockport and Palacious to Houston and out to Beaumont and even into Louisiana…we have been through it this week as we all faced down Hurricane Harvey.
Today, this isn’t a post about Halloween. This is a post asking for your help.
While my hometown is getting a lot of media attention because of our size, it is truly the Texas Gulf Coast that needs your help.
So many people in my region of Texas have lost everything they own, like cars and homes, but also irreplaceable items like that cherished Halloween decoration from their childhood, now destroyed by a natural disaster.
Take a moment and think about what it would feel like if you lost everything you had. It’s a sobering thought. For tens of thousands of people, this is their new reality.
I am personally asking you as a lover of Halloween and SLH reader to donate what you can to one of the organizations below OR to a nonprofit you support that is assisting with recovery efforts in Texas right now.
Whether you can donate $100, $20 or $5…it all makes a difference. Please consider giving up one morning Starbucks run, a meal out or put off buying that Halloween goodie you’ve been eyeing to do some good in the world right now and assist with recovery and relief efforts in Texas.
Here are a few ways to donate:
- American Red Cross – or text HARVEY to 90999 to donate $10 via your cell phone bill
- Center for Disaster Philanthropy
- Global Giving’s Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund
- Coastal Bend Community Foundation – based in Corpus Christi, serves 7 counties in the Texas Coastal Bend directly hit by Harvey
- Greater Houston Community Foundation’s Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund – Houston
- JJ Watt’s Houston Flood Relief Fund – Houston
- Texas Gulf Coast American Red Cross – make sure you select Hurricane Harvey under “I want to support”
- United Way of Beaumont & North Jefferson County Relief Donations – Beaumont, east of Houston
- United Way of the Coastal Bend – based in Corpus Christi, serves 9 counties in the Texas Coastal Bend directly hit by Harvey
- United Way of Greater Houston’s Relief Fund – Houston
As an employee at a nonprofit organization, I know donations are a very personal thing. Please feel free to choose one of these or another organization you feel comfortable supporting. I also recommend using Charity Navigator to review any organization before choosing to donate your money to them.
Finally, I want to say thank you again to every single last one of you who checked on me in the past week to make sure I was okay. I was overwhelmed by how many of you did so and sent well wishes to me. Thank you.
I hope you will do a little bit to help my little corner of the world rebuild.